Conshohocken Slip and Fall Attorneys
Nobody should have to go through a car accident. Unfortunately, thousands of drivers face this frightening reality on a daily basis – and in many cases, the scene of the crash is a highway. With so many drivers fighting for a spot on a busy, high-speed road, an...read more
A slip and fall accident can happen in the blink of an eye – and change your life forever once it does. If the fall causes serious injuries, it may take months before you are fully rehabilitated. You may even suffer from permanent impairment, making it hard to earn income and support yourself. To make matters worse, the medical bills from treatment can lead to immense financial hardship, in some cases jeopardizing the stability of entire families.
None of these outcomes are easy to cope with – and the healing process is even more difficult when your accident was caused by another person’s carelessness. While nothing can turn back the hands of time, you have a right to pursue the justice you deserve. With aggressive legal representation, you may be able to get compensated for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and other damages. At Jacobs & Fishman, P.C., our Conshohocken slip and fall lawyers have more than 80 years of combined experience representing injured Pennsylvanians. For a free consultation about how we can help with your claim, contact our law offices online, or call (610) 941-4250 today.
Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
Accidental falls can cause catastrophic injuries in a matter of moments, regardless of whether they occur in indoors or outdoors. Anyone can be hurt in a slip and fall accident, though some segments of the population, such as seniors, are more likely to sustain certain types of injuries, such as pelvic fractures (broken hips).
At Jacobs & Fishman, P.C., we have been spent decades devoting our careers to personal injury claims and lawsuits in Pennsylvania. Not only have we negotiated settlements and litigated cases involving a wide range of injuries – in addition, attorney Joanne Fishman has experience working as a former rehabilitative therapist, giving our legal team invaluable insight into the true long-term costs of your injury. We use this insight to determine the value of your claim – then aggressively pursue the maximum compensation. Types of slip and fall injury claims our attorneys handle include:
- Bone fractures
- Bruises and contusions
- Concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Cuts and lacerations
- Dislocation injuries
- Facial injuries
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Hand and wrist injuries
- Head injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Knee injuries
- Neck injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Shoulder injuries
- Spinal cord injuries (SCI)
- Sprain and strain injuries
- Thumb, toe, and finger injuries
I Fell on Someone Else’s Property, Do I Have a Claim?
If you were injured after falling on another person’s property in Pennsylvania, you may have grounds to file a personal injury claim. Claims can also arise from injuries on commercial property, or even public property, though claimants should be warned that short deadlines apply when suing government entities.
After a trip and fall on someone else’s property, you may have grounds to file a slip and fall claim, depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident. There are four facts you will need to prove in order to be compensated:
- The defendant owed you a “duty of care” – for example, the duty of care owed by landlords to tenants, or by businesses to their shoppers and patrons.
- The defendant breached their duty of care – for instance, by failing to perform reasonable and timely property maintenance.
- Your accident was caused by the defendant’s actions – or, in many cases, failure to act (known as “omission”).
- You suffered harm, or “damages,” as a result of your fall – for instance, injuries and financial harm.
When you contact our law offices for your free consultation, our experienced Conshohocken slip and fall attorneys can assess your situation to determine whether you could have a claim. If you or a loved one was injured, we’re here to help you understand your legal options for proceeding.
Slip and Fall Lawsuits and Settlements in Pennsylvania
Slip and fall claims account for the majority of premises liability cases. That is because slip and fall accidents are, in many instances, caused by negligent property maintenance, meaning a failure to keep the premises reasonably free of hazards. Examples of such hazards might include:
- Broken or uneven tiles, steps, pavement, or floorboards
- Broken safety railings and banisters
- Defective building materials, such as rotten wood or crumbling cement
- Failure to remove or salt ice and snow during winter
- Inadequate lighting
- Loose cords, wires, or cables
- Unstable structural components
If you can prove that you fell and were injured due to another person’s negligence, or that of a business entity, you may be able to recover “damages” (financial compensation). There are two basic types of damages in a personal injury case, including a slip and fall lawsuit:
- Compensatory Damages – Compensatory damages attempt to make the victim “whole” to the greatest possible extent. There are two types of compensatory damages:
- Economic Damages – Economic damages compensate financial losses and expenses, such as lost earnings, reduction in overall earning capacity, and medical bills resulting from hospitalization, medication, doctor appointments, or other types of treatment.
- Noneconomic Damages – Noneconomic damages include compensation for pain and suffering, or harm that is not financial in nature.
- Punitive Damages – Punitive damages go a step beyond compensatory damages, actually seeking to punish the defendant. For this reason, punitive damages are only available in cases where the defendant was malicious or exceptionally reckless.
Most personal injury cases are resolved through a settlement, which is an agreement both parties make outside of court, sometimes on the condition that the settlement must remain confidential. However, even with aggressive and persistent negotiation, insurance companies are not always willing to make reasonable settlement offers, and sometimes deny liability outright. If this occurs, it may be necessary to go to trial and litigate your case before a judge and jury. We will pursue a tailored legal strategy that is in your best interests, and will keep you fully informed of your options, the potential obstacles, and other considerations as your case progresses.
Conshohocken Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Serving Montgomery County, PA
For decades, the Conshohocken slip and fall attorneys of Jacobs & Fishman, P.C. have worked to secure justice and compensation for injury victims throughout Montgomery County, PA. Our accomplished legal team has an impressive track record, and is prepared to apply the same level of dedication, focus, and skill to your claim. If you or a family member fell on another person’s property and was injured as a result, Jacobs & Fishman is here to offer guidance about what steps to take next.
For a free legal consultation, call Jacobs & Fishman at (610) 941-4250, or contact us online. You will never be charged any legal fees unless we recover compensation for you.